Finals Weekend is fast approaching, and we look forward to your participation in this very special weekend for the University of Virginia community. Please take a few moments to review important faculty instructions and scheduling information regarding the weekend's festivities. If you are a faculty member and interested in serving as a Faculty Marshal at Final Exercises please contact the Office of Major Events at (434) 982-3099 for more information.
In This Section:
- Academic Regalia
- Faculty Participation in Final Exercises
- Information for the Assembly Group, Seating Group, Procession Marshals, Faculty Marshals, and Banner Carriers
Faculty in Architecture, Arts & Sciences, Continuing & Professional Studies, Data Science, Education, Leadership and Public Policy, and Nursing may rent caps and gowns through the UVA Bookstore by contacting Teresa Hammond. The deadline to order rental regalia is April 3, 2020.
Rented academic regalia may be picked up at the University Bookstore at the following times:
Wednesday, May 13 through Friday, May 15: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday, May 16: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday, May 17: 7 to 9:30 a.m.
Rented academic regalia must be returned to the University Bookstore at the following times:
Saturday, May 16: 12 to 5 p.m.
Sunday, May 17: 12 to 5 p.m.
Monday, May 18: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Individuals are responsible for the cost of unreturned regalia. A late fee will be charged for rental regalia not returned by 5 p.m. on May 18.
The UVA Bookstore also offers academic regalia for purchase. The UVA Academic Regalia Order Form will be available on the Bookstore's website. The deadline for ordering purchased regalia is March 27, 2020. Order forms can be faxed to the UVA Bookstore at (434) 982-2165 or dropped off at the UVA Bookstore, located atop the 4th floor of the Central Grounds Parking Garage (map).
For questions concerning rental or purchased academic regalia, please call the UVA Bookstore at (434) 924-3721 or (800) 759-4667.
Commerce, Engineering, Graduate Business, Law, and Medicine Faculty
Faculty in Commerce, Engineering, Graduate Business, Law, and Medicine will pick up their caps and gowns in their respective schools and will return them to those locations.
Faculty members who are not serving as marshals, are invited to participate in the Academic Procession with their school. Faculty members should assemble at their schools designated assembly area by 9:30 a.m. (assembly diagrams coming soon). In order to access the Lawn, faculty members must wear academic regalia. In the event of severe weather, faculty should arrive to the John Paul Jones Arena by 8:45 a.m.
Information for the Assembly Group, Seating Group, Procession Marshals, Faculty Marshals, and Banner Carriers
Those faculty members identified by their school to serve as members of the assembly or seating groups, faculty or processional marshals, or banner carriers are to be at their school's designated assembly point by no later than the times listed below.
- Assembly Group: Meet Robert Conroy, the interim chair of the assembly group, on the South Portico of the Rotunda by 8:30 a.m.
- Seating Group: Meet Gary Ballinger, the chair of the seating group, at the stage located in front of Old Cabell Hall by 9 a.m.
- Procession Marshals: Arrive to your school's designated assembly area by 9 a.m.
- Faculty Marshals: Arrive to your school's designated assembly area by 9 a.m. Please notify your school's procession marshals of your arrival.
- Banner Carriers: Pick-up your schools banner in the Lower West Oval Room of the Rotunda by 9:30 a.m., then proceed to your school's designated assembly area.
To access the Lawn, faculty members are encouraged to use the entrances located on the east and west sides of the Rotunda near Pavilions I and II.
- Assembly Locations for Saturday, May 16: College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences
- Assembly Locations for Sunday, May 17: All Other Schools (excluding the College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences)
In the event of severe weather, Final Exercises will move to John Paul Jones Arena. If the weather is severe, all faculty members assisting with Final Exercises should arrive to the arena no later than 8 a.m. Parking is available in the parking garage at the arena. Please use the garage entrance located on Copeley Road, then park on Level One. To enter the arena, use the Suite Entrance located on Level Two of the parking garage. More information regarding the weather plans is available here.