Complimentary Academic Regalia
Complimentary caps and gowns are available for bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree candidates. If you would like a complimentary cap, gown, and tassel, you can place an order online with the UVA Bookstore starting on Thursday, April 1. Once the Bookstore has confirmed your order, you will be notified (via email) when your order is ready to be picked up. The deadline to place an order will be 5 p.m. on Wednesday, April 21.
Distribution for online orders will be Monday, April 12 – Saturday, April 24. The Bookstore will notify you of your pickup time directly, within the following hours:
- Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
*IMPORTANT: Due to safety concerns, walk-ins are not permitted. Please contact Teresa Hammond if you have questions or concerns about your scheduled pickup time.
For those who can't pick up their cap and gown by April 24, caps and gowns will be distributed from the Bookstore on the following dates:
- Friday, May 14: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Saturday, May 15: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Sunday, May 16: 8 a.m. - 10 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 19: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Thursday, May 20: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Friday, May 21: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Saturday, May 22: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Sunday, May 23: 8 a.m. - 10 a.m.
Each student will receive ONE complimentary cap, gown, and tassel. If you need to order a replacement, there will be a small fee. These "one-way" caps and gowns do not need to be returned; they may be retained as keepsakes.
Doctoral Students Only
Other options available to doctoral students:
Renting Regalia: The doctoral rental gown is made of black poplin, and it includes black velvet panels on the front of the gown and black velvet chevrons on the sleeves. It comes with a mortarboard and tassel. The PhD hood is trimmed in blue velvet and has a black poplin tail lined in orange and navy satin. The deadline for ordering a rental gown and/or a doctoral hood is 5 p.m. on Monday, April 5. To order a rental gown and/or doctoral hood, please email Teresa Hammond.
Purchasing UVA Custom Regalia: For doctoral degree candidates who wish to purchase custom regalia, the order deadline is 5 p.m. on Friday, March 26. Degree candidates have the option of purchasing any/all of the following:
- Academic Gown - UVA's custom gown is navy and includes two velvet panels on the front of the gown, each adorned with an orange Rotunda, and velvet chevrons with orange cording on the sleeves.
- Academic Hood - Academic hoods are designed to represent your degree/discipline (the velvet trim) as well as your alma mater (the stain lining). UVA hoods contain a navy and orange satin lining. The color of the velvet trim is dictated by your specific degree/discipline.
- Tam - UVA tams are navy blue 6-cornered velvet with a 2-buttoned tassel.
For questions about rental or purchased regalia, please email Teresa Hammond.
Darden, Law, and Medicine Students
For Darden, Law, and Medicine (Doctor of Medicine) degree candidates, more information regarding caps and gowns is forthcoming from your schools.
Faculty members who are interested in ordering a rental gown, which comes with a mortarboard and tassel, and/or a doctoral hood should email Teresa Hammond by 5 p.m. on Monday, April 5.
*IMPORTANT: Because orders are being placed later than usual, it is possible your specific school hood may be unavailable. However, the vendor will have other hood options. If your hood is unavailable, Teresa Hammond will work with you on additional possibilities. To get the correct hood, make sure to place your order as soon as possible (before the deadline).