Leading Up To Finals Weekend
Here are some important items you will want to take care of in advance:
- August 2016/December 2016 Graduates - Contact your school/department to confirm your intent to participate in Final Exercises and the school/department graduation ceremony.
- To receive text message alerts including updates to the Finals Weekend schedule, subscribe to the Finals Weekend Text Messaging Service.
- Order graduation announcements (Optional).
- Pick up your Cap & Gown from the UVA Bookstore* (Darden, Law, and Medicine graduates pick up your cap & gown at your school).
- Complete your Student Outcome Activity Report (SOAR) profile, which takes approximately 5 minutes. The information collected will provide UVA staff with a better understanding of students' professional development needs and will play a vital role in determining the types of development opportunities offered in the future. Commerce students, please use the McIntire Destinations Portfolio Survey to report your outcome.
- Pick up your tickets for Class Party (undergraduates only) and Final Exercises from the UVA Bookstore.
- Make a plan with your family members/guests. Items to discuss/review with them:
- A place to meet after Final Exercises concludes. With so many people on the Lawn, cell service may be limited. It's a good idea to pick a meeting location beforehand.
- For guests who are elderly, have small children, or do not have tickets to Final Exercises, let them know about the Remote (Indoor) Viewing Locations. A live-broadcast of Saturday's and Sunday's Final Exercises ceremonies will be shown on projection screens with open captioning at 10 climate-controlled locations across Grounds. Another benefit to these venues is they all have water fountains and accessible bathrooms (no porta johns!). These venues are a very nice alternative to being on the Lawn. Don't believe us? See for yourself.
- Make sure your guests know where they can find the essentials: the guest entrances onto the Lawn, bathrooms, water fountains, food stands, and emergency medical services. This handy diagram has it all.
- If rain is in the forecast, review the inclement and severe weather plans. If severe weather forces Final Exercises to move into the John Paul Jones Arena, you will only be allowed to bring three guests (Unfortunately, JPJ can't hold as many people as the Lawn). Make sure your guests know this and know which three will be attending. For the three who will not be going to JPJ, they can watch the ceremony from one of the remote viewing sites or from any place they wish, thanks to this live streaming webcast.
- Where to park on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Our recommendation is to tell your guests to park in the lot that is closest to your school/department graduation ceremony. That way, you'll have little walking to do at the end of the day.
On Friday, May 19
- Attend Valedictory Exercises on the Lawn at 3:00pm. We can assure you, you don't want to miss hearing the keynote address by Juan Manuel Santos, current president of Colombia and the 2016 recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Come celebrate your last night as an undergrad student at the Fourth-Year Class Party. They'll be music, dancing, light hors d'oeuvres, and a cash bar!